SEPAM 1000+ MEDIUM VOLTAGE PROTECTIVE RELAY SIMPLIFIES RELAY SELECTION, INSTALLATION AND OPERATION
May 17, 2001
Selecting, installing and operating protective relays is simpler than ever with the new SEPAM 1000+ family of modular, medium voltage protective relays from Square D.
Building on 15 years of protective relay experience, the SEPAM 1000+ is designed to interface with POWERLOGIC® power monitoring systems from Square D. Sepam 1000+ relays are available as the standard relay on new Square D medium voltage switchgear, and are available to upgrade existing switchgear. They can be used alone for protection and basic monitoring, or supplemented with any of the line of POWERLOGIC circuit monitors for in depth power quality analysis, data logging, and sub-billing. The units communicate over MODBUS® interface lines to POWERLOGIC System Manager Software and provide real time data, data logging, alarming, and waveform capture.
Ideal for medium to large industrial applications and for large commercial power users, the SEPAM 1000+ is available in five variations covering the most common protective relay functions:
* Substation/Feeder protection: (50/51) Three Phase overcurrent, (50N/51N) Ground fault (or neutral) with selectable second harmonic restraint, (46) Unbalance / negative sequence overcurrent, and (79) Recloser (4 steps);
* Transformer protection: same overcurrent elements as Substation/Feeder protection except with (49 RMS) thermal overload, (49/63)Thermostat / Buchholz, and optional (49) RTD Temperature monitoring;
* Motor protection: same overcurrent elements as Substation/Feeder protection, plus (49 RMS) Thermal overload, (37) Phase undercurrent, (48/51LR) Excessive starting time/ locked rotor, (66) Excessive Starts per hour, and optional (38/49) RTD Temperature monitoring;
* Voltage network protection (busbar): (27D/47) Positive sequence undervoltage, (27R) Remanent undervoltage, (27) Phase to Phase undervoltage, (27S) Phase to Neutral undervoltage, (59) Phase to phase overvoltage, (59N) neutral voltage displacement, (81H) Overfrequency, (81L) Underfrequency.
* Loss of mains protection (busbar): same voltage and frequency elements as Voltage network protection (busbar) plus (81R) Rate of Change of frequency.
The modularity of the SEPAM 1000+ allows the user to add functions to the basic unit as desired, including analog outputs, communications, temperature / RTD input, two levels of digital I/O and a remote display. Its robust and compact design enables the SEPAM 1000+ to stand up to tough industrial environments while reducing space requirements.